NEWS ABOUT FUTURE POSTINGS; GENERAL THOUGHTS AND RAMBLINGS ABOUT HISTORY, NATIONAL FORESTS, AND WHATEVER

 NEWS AND FUTURE POSTINGS; GENERAL THOUGHTS

    I thought I would take a moment and share some ideas for future posts. I will be learning more regarding the use of historical photographs, such as what is in the public domain, giving proper credits, and if any fees or such are involved. The internet can be a valuable source of information, but it seems everyone has an opinion on every topic. As such, I need to sort out what is applicable, and learn from credible sources before I make a mistake with financial consequences. The gist of it is, I hope to be using some very interesting historical photographs with future posts, and will update others as time allows. 

    I hope to begin working on a post regarding the high wheel logging carts or wagons used in the area. Sometimes I call them big wheels; looks like more editing of my posts. The design and use of these wagons was quite ingenious, and originated from the experiences learned in the logging of Michigan's forests; ironically, the place where the Saginaw, and the Manistee companies originated ( they were separate entities before coming to Arizona.) Part of this is a picture tour of a little outdoor logging museum in Eastern Oregon. This museum has one of the finest collections of High Wheel carts, not to mention the remarkable logging "iron," in existence. I have visited this museum over the past forty years, and the exhibits and artifacts just keep getting better. You will just have to wait until the posting to find out more. 

    One area that I will be focusing on, once I have had appropriate amount of time to celebrate being vaccinated and getting some travel time in, is the area south and east of Williams. This area, which was originally accessed by the Saginaw Southern, is east of Perkinsville Road, south of Barney Flats, and extends east to the Sycamore Canyon Wilderness Area. It beckons me, and  I want to find out how extensive were the railroad logging lines, and if they reached the Pine Flat area.  There is one significant site that shows evidence of early logging, and later truck logging, activity. This entire area is extremely rugged, and will take further planning and research in order for it to divulge its secrets.

    One thing I want to state once again, is my resolve not to divulge the whereabouts of the logging camps on a public forum. Those that I have discussed I know have already been revealed by other sources, but I certainly will be all the more vigilant in the future. Preserving these sites is important, and needs to be balanced with the public's right to know. It serves no purpose to reveal something, before it is adequately researched and protected. If I have unknowingly published a location that is on private land, then I apologize and please inform me so that the information can be removed from the site. 

    I will also be updating and expanding my information regarding local businesses in Williams, Arizona. If they have impacted me in a positive way (this doesn't mean freebees or bribes), and are just plain good folk, then I will give them a shout-out. Anything I can do to help those who have helped me along life's path. 

    So go out there and enjoy our natural wonders. Be safe, be respectful, and slow down. No need to run over wildlife or hikers like me just to get somewhere. Remember, its about enjoying the journey, and being blessed when you reach your destination.  

      And one more thing; please spread the word about this history-oriented blog. All fifty-some-odd that have read my posts are greatly appreciated. Just tell your friends and family, even your enemies. I enjoy doing all the research in the field, which has been significant, and further enjoy sharing the knowledge. Getting the word out there really helps, and saves me from publishing a book which all of a dozen people will probably buy. Free access to information only remains free if we use it responsibly and share the knowledge. Thanks for your help and support. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COUGAR PARK, HELL CANYON BRANCHLINE; BARNEY FLATS: Recent Findings and Research

THE SAGINAW AND MANISTEE LUMBER COMPANY MILL, WILLIAMS, ARIZONA 1893-1941 (Updated and Revised 7/2023)

SAGINAW AND MANISTEE FLAGSTAFF OPERATIONS: 1941-1952