Sunday, August 23, 2026

Update: the Santa Fe in Williams,Arizona

 I have just posted the Six-Part study on the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe in Williams Arizona. The order of the parts is slightly out of order, due to the limitations of using a Blog. Please read in sequence, it will help make the project more meaningful.

THE ATCHISON, TOPEKA AND SANTA FE RAILROAD IN WILLIAMS, ARIZONA; PART I: INTRODUCTION AND HISTORY

 THE ATCHISON, TOPEKA AND SANTA FE RAILROAD IN WILLIAMS, ARIZONA;

 PART I:  INTRODUCTION AND HISTORY

INTRODUCTION TO THE ATCHISON, TOPEKA AND SANTA FE RAILROAD IN WILLIAMS, ARIZONA

Please keep in mind, all of the railroad is private property, and trespassing is not permitted. The area is protected by local, state and federal laws and they are very diligent with enforcement. Do not cross tracks except in designated locations, and do not disturb any of the facilities. The BNSF Railroad through Williams is a mainline thoroughfare, and trains will pass at speed. The majority of the structures mentioned in these postings no longer exist, and those that do are on private property. Trying to get a special picture is not worth serious injury, or dire legal consequences.     

 "Sheet No. SLT 24B of Valuation Section No. 2 of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway, from survey station 9454 plus 00 to survey station 19504 plus 00. Chief Engineer, The A.T.&S.F. Ry. Co., Coast Lines. Williams Station Plat, The Atchison Topeka and Santa Fe Railway. Operated by The Atchison Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Co. Coast Lines, Albuquerque Division, Arizona June 30, 1915."

 The centerpiece and reference point for this project is this Track Chart, a map that the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe produced and copyrighted in 1915. This chart was used to document the stations and facilities, and for a valuation map. This study will assume and interpret all references and details as they were on June 30, 1915.

Compass directions will be referenced as the top being North, bottom as South, left as West, and right as East. 

This study will be divided into six parts, each focusing on a section of the ATSF facilities. Notations that are on the maps will be listed as it pertains to a specific structure. There are numerous notations and features on the map such as fence lines, sewer and water lines, tangent degrees and other engineering details. For clarity this study will focus on the specific topic and whatever notations that may be relevant. 

As an amateur historian, I have done what due diligence I can to verify that this map is in the public domain and has been for a number of years. It is used here and in additional postings for educational purposes only.

A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE ATCHISON, TOPEKA AND SANTA FE RAILWAY IN WILLIAMS, ARIZONA 

The United States Government authorized the exploration of the western frontier by the U.S. Corps of Topographical Engineers. They were tasked with providing several practical railroads surveys and establish wagon roads to California. In 1851, Captain Lorenzo Sitgreaves completed a reconnaissance of the San Francisco Mountains (North of current Flagstaff, AZ.), and the area of Bill Williams Peak (South of Williams, AZ). The subsequent report was a "snapshot," a short documentation of the region. This further expanded the written knowledge of the area, benefiting future expeditions (Fuchs, 15: Goetzmann 244-246.)

Lieutenant Amiel Weeks Whipple assembled another expedition in July 1853 at Fort Smith, Arkansas. This expedition was tasked to explore and survey a railroad route along the 35th parallel, with special attention to the area between the Zuni villages and the Colorado River (Fuchs, 17; Goetzmann, 287-289.) 
In 1857, Lieutenant Edward Fitzgerald Beale embarked on a survey and construction expedition of the wagon road that would later carry his name. Starting at Fort Smith, Arkansas, the survey and road traveled 1240 miles, to the Colorado River. One notable event was the use of camels to help transport their equipment. 
Passing north of Williams, the road generally followed one spring to the other, crossing the north country. By 1902, the Beale wagon road had fallen into disuse, but not before it had served its purpose by opening a road through the North Country and exploring the possible route of a central Arizona railroad line (Fuchs, 19.) The road would become an artery allowing thousands of immigrants to travel to California, workers to the mines in Southern Arizona, and the movement of vast herds of sheep into the Williams area. 
The Bill Williams Mountain area remained relatively untraveled until the 1870s. Those who did remarked on the lush grass and tall timber growing in abundance (Fuchs, 26,27.) The 85-mile Overland Road, stretching from early Flagstaff to the Fort Whipple-Prescott area passed to the south of the mountain. In use from 1863-1882, the road was originally used by the military. From the mid-1870s until the early 1900s, large herds of sheep and cattle traversed the trail in the summer to the cool mountain meadows, grazing and fattening upon the abundant grass in the high country (Fuchs, 85.) This same road, by that time mostly abandoned, would later play an important role in the building of the Saginaw Southern Railroad.
The townsite of Williams, Arizona began as a post office (June 14, 1881) on the surveyed grade of the Atlantic and Pacific Railroad (the 35th parallel survey route.) The town also served as a construction camp for the building of the railroad (Stein, VI; Fuchs 32, 34.) Ranching and the construction of the A&P RR played a major role in the town's early history. The town was located on the ranch of C.T. Rogers, possibly one of the first settlers in the area, having arrived in 1877.  Two stage lines served the region, including this up-and-coming town of Williams (Fuchs, 61.) 
The completion of the Atlantic and Pacific Railroad met several lengthy delays, caused by the building of the viaduct bridge at Canyon Diablo east of Flagstaff, and the Johnson Creek Tunnel west of Williams. At great expense, both of these projects were completed, after spawning two of the most wild-of-the-west construction towns in Arizona.
    It is possible that the construction crews would have leap-frogged these projects, and continued grading and construction of the roadbed and laying what rails were available until the bridge and tunnel were completed.


Early Williams, circa 1890. Population 200

     For a time, Williams was overshadowed by Simms- the construction camp and town located at the Johnson Canyon Tunnel site. Once the A&P had completed that project, the denizens of the town either followed the construction to Williams or drifted elsewhere. 
The roadbed of the Atlantic and Pacific arrived in Williams in April 1882 (Fuchs, 56.) With the coming of the railroad came freight and passenger facilities. A railroad sponsored eating house was opened in 1883. Fred Harvey, a well-known provider of quality meals and service, established a welcomed presence circa 1887 (Fuchs, 98.) A more permanent depot and freight house came in August 1901 (Fuchs 116,196.)  
With the railroad facilities, having a post office, the connecting stage lines, and a developing merchant's row, the town was developing the air of permanence. With permanence comes investment, with the hope of future prosperity.  Civilization was advanced with the establishment of a school (1882). Church services were provided by circuit preachers starting in 1883. The population varied in the 1880s. The census of 1890 documented 199 persons residing in town- although this may not take into account the transient railroad laborers, saloon workers, or the outlying ranches and farms in the region (Fuchs, 58, 99,102.).
 Due to the ever-growing demand for water, the railroad began drilling wells as early as 1886. A railroad sponsored dam was built 1887 (Fuchs 70, 79,82.) 

                            
An early postcard/photograph of the Santa Fe Dam, circa 1910. (Postcard; author's collection.)


From 1884-1886 The Atlantic and Pacific Railroad moved the division point to Peach Springs, Arizona, causing a slump in the William's economy (Peach Springs, still in existence today, was the source of clean water for many years for the railroad and the town.) In 1890, Williams rebounded with the return of the division point. 
    Williams was always within the Albuquerque Division, and was also assigned within a District, one of many within the Division. With the re-assigning of the Division Point to Williams came status and importance, not to mention economic gain.
The Atlantic and Pacific went into bankruptcy, and was purchased by the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway. The western section of the A&P allowed the Santa Fe to access Arizona and eventually California.
    In 1901 a branch line was built to the Grand Canyon, increasing the importance of the railroad operations in Williams. A new station and hotel complex-to be known as the FRE MARCOS- was built. A depot was included within the complex to better dispatch and control the additional traffic. The yards were always being modified and with the new passenger traffic to the Grand Canyon meant an expansion of the tracks.
In 1929, the Great Depression began, eventually seeping into the daily lives of every citizen. Williams was not immune. The mill, at reduced production, continued to operate with occasional shutdowns (Fuchs 273.) The railroad continued to provide freight and passenger services, albeit at a reduced tempo. 
    Then came World War II, and the railroad saw an expansion of traffic as never before. Troops and supplies passed through the yards, and the constant flow of freight and passenger trains took their toll on the facilities. However, this was a necessity of the times, a war must be won and no one wanted to forestall the ultimate victory. During the war years, steel and wood products were in great demand for tanks and bases. 
    Steam engines were still being manufactured, with common designs to reduce waste and time in production. Old engines were refurbished or scrapped for the metal. Major railroads had the shops to rebuild their own passenger and freight cars, and they often did just that. 
    Post war began to see the economy and the nation return to peace. The railroads could design and order new streamlined passenger cars. The diesel-electric locomotive (diesel engine), a pre-war novelty, became the norm for the new era. The diesel engine was reliable, and robust for American railroads. It did not require frequent stops for water, or the constant maintenance of the steam engine. It has been reported that for every steam engine on the road, two additional were required, as one was being shopped for heavy repairs, another was due for maintenance or on standby, and the one on the road would soon need maintenance. 
    The Santa Fe heavily invested in diesels. The effect on labor and facilities would be immediate and permanent. Certain shop crafts would soon be eliminated in entirety. With that came the reduction in water towers and treatment plants, and entire roundhouses with all of the related crafts would be gone. 
    Williams was not alone or immune to progress. Over time, the facilities were reduced, then removed. In the 1960s passenger travel took a steep decline. The Grand Canyon service was eliminated, and eventually what remained of the passenger trains were handed over to Amtrak, a government agency. 
    In the 1960s, a major realignment was completed.  from Ash Fork to Williams the railroad alignment 
was changed; the Peavine interchange with the transcontinental route was moved to east of Williams. The mainline took a winding route north and west of Williams, which greatly reduced the grade and improved traffic flow. With these changes, no passenger service was provided at the FREY MARCOS, Instead, what was left of traffic was handled at Williams Junction, east of Williams, until even that was discontinued. 
    Yet the appeal of the Grand Canyon could not be ignored. Although most of the travel was by car to the National Park, the need for railroad passenger service was a strong enticement for private investment. The Grand Canyon Railway was reborn, and once again passengers could stay at the Frey Marcos Hotel and ride the trains to the distinct and quant Grand Canyon Depot. 
Williams continued on through the lean and prosperous years. Eventually the tourism industry, with the revitalization of the Grand Canyon Railway, brought stability. Today, with the promise of new recreational activities, the steady growth of the housing market, and the cult-like following of old Route 66, hope endures that this once frontier town will remain for many years to come.                        



A very early postcard image of Williams, Arizona. This image shows the westside of the town. In the distance is Bill Williams Mountain; on the right can be seen the Saginaw and Manistee Lumber Company Mill. In the center are homes and small businesses. The feeling is that of a small community, going about its daily life in the early years of the Twentieth Century. In the foreground are the railroad tracks and various boxcars of the Santa Fe Railway. 

NEXT POST:  PART II: THE ROUNDHOUSE FACILITIES


THE ATSF IN WILLIAMS, ARIZONA PART II: THE ROUNDHOUSE FACILITIES

 THE ATCHISON, TOPEKA AND SANTA FE RAILROAD IN WILLIAMS, ARIZONA PART II: THE ROUNDHOUSE FACILITIES

       GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF THE YARD FACILITIES

The downtown area of Williams covers approximately six blocks. You could walk the entire length at a casual saunter in less than an hour.

The railroad facilities are of modest design; functional, and efficient. The overall yard and related facilities are no more than a mile long, stretching along the mainline on a slightly askew East-West axis.

Multiple tracks were provided for freight and passenger trains. The switches were organized in a linear pattern, accessing the yard tracks at both ends. Trains could enter and exit at both ends as needed, eliminating the need to back out of a yard track.

The Williams yard consisted of yard tracks, and two main lines; one for east bound, one for west bound. Crossovers were included so that trains could pass one another. All movements on the mainline were controlled by a dispatcher. 

When comparing the facilities that were once located at Seligman, Winslow, or Williams, they were very similar and can be characterized as those found within a district, which are part of a division. The facilities would have included water and fuel for the locomotives, a passenger and freight depot, a roundhouse for minor engine repairs and servicing, a RIP track for bad order cars (Repair in Place), and housing for crews and other workers. 

With the coming of the Diesel-electric locomotives (engines), the only facilities needed are located at division points, and these are usually run-through fuel and sanding racks, and a building for minor repairs and maintenance. Any heavy repairs can be done at regional shops. This resulted in the closing of many of the district facilities, such as what happened to Williams. 

Williams was in the Albuquerque Division, designated as a District (fourth or fifth, depending on the year.) Williams had District shops and yards, the division shops and major facilities in Albuquerque, New Mexico

Winslow, Williams and Ash Fork each had a named Harvey House and station. Williams was famous for the FREY MARCOS, as it served mainline passenger trains and hosted the Grand Canyon Branch line. 

Please keep in mind, all of the railroad is private property, and trespassing is not permitted. The area is protected by local, state and federal laws and they are very diligent with enforcement. Do not cross tracks except in designated locations, and do not disturb any of the facilities. The BNSF Railroad through Williams is a mainline thoroughfare, and trains will pass at speed. The majority of the structures mentioned in these postings no longer exist, and those that do are on private property. Trying to get a special picture is not worth serious injury, or dire legal consequences.                           

Photo by Williams Studio; distributed by J.R. Willis, Box 665, Albuquerque, N.M. 
Genuine Curteich-Chicago "C.T. Art-Color tone" Post Card

An overhead view of Williams, Arizona, looking southwest, just east of the Second Street crossing. At the top right corner of the image can be seen the Saginaw and Manistee Lumber Company mill site, placing the timeframe prior to 1941. The downtown district can be seen clustered near the street crossing. The brick depot has been moved to its current location. Along the railroad property can be seen a number of commercial buildings, such as fuel distribution companies, and several homes with white fences. 
At the bottom right-hand corner can be seen the railroad yard and facilities.  The railroad powerhouse and a water tower are evident; the roundhouse is just visible in the lower corner of the image.  


#82004: Fred Harvey "Phostint" Trademark, Detroit Publishing Company

An overhead view of the Williams yard area, pre-1941. This view is looking southwest, showing the town, mill and railroad yard. This image shows that a spur headed north from the storage tank, which serviced the stock yards. Often spurs and tracks were added or removed and were not documented on maps. .There are two circular patterns near the water treatment facility. These could have been where large water storage tanks were located and later removed. 

THE ROUNDHOUSE AND OTHER FACILITIES

The following track chart provides a general overview of the east side of the yard area. East of the map is the wye for dispatching trains to the Grand Canyon Branch line. the wye also allowed for engines and passenger trains to be turned.


"Sheet No. SLT 24B of Valuation Section No. 2 of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway, from survey station 9454 plus 00 to survey station 19504 plus 00. Chief Engineer, The A.T.&S.F. Ry. Co., Coast Lines. Williams Station Plat, The Atchison Topeka and Santa Fe Railway. Operated by The Atchison Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Co. Coast Lines, Albuquerque Division, Arizona June 30, 1915."
 Further east of this map is the wye (not shown) for dispatching trains to the Grand Canyon Branch line. the wye also allowed for engines and passenger trains to be turned to another direction. 

 The Roundhouse is clearly visible. To the north are two spurs that serviced a number of structures; to the west is the fuel storage area, and below that is the powerhouse. To the south are the two mainlines (one east, one west) and additional yard tracks. Further south is the town of Williams.

The Roundhouse


The Roundhouse provided support for the steam locomotives, such as running repairs and routine maintenance. Heavy repairs required the engines to be dead headed to the division shops, located in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Steam engines that were assigned local service, such as a local freight or yard switchers, would be housed and serviced inside the facility. This was necessary because the fires and the steam must be maintained for the next day's assignment. 

The roundhouse was of concrete and steel construction, originally built with six stalls. Each stall was designed with a front and back door, allowing the engines to be moved through the building to a stub track. The doors appear to be of wooden construction. 

Natural lighting was provided by front and back windows, and a large clerestory feature designed into the roof. This also allowed for better ventilation. It does appear, in the following images, that there were vent hoods located above each stall, allowing for smoke from the engines to vent through the ceiling.

A steam heating plant was located in the Powerhouse; according to the map a pipe ran to the fuel supply areas, the roundhouse, and continued to the yard facilities. There was heat in the winter, but natural cooling in the summer-no air conditioning.

A turntable was located in front of the roundhouse, allowing engines to be moved from stall to stall, or turned around. 

Through time, as can be seen in the following images, the roundhouse largely remained intact, not having additional stalls or other side buildings added to the main structure, other than the occasional lean-to shed. 

Image: Author's Collection


Image: Author's Collection

Images: Source Internet. This was sent to me from a member of the local History Group.

Structures to the North

Notations on the map, from East to West:

Just to the north of the roundhouse were two spurs. These allowed access to a number of buildings and structures that supported the roundhouse. The buildings are described as follows, going east to west:

Car Bodies (next to the roundhouse, north side)
Lime House
Privy
Store House
Wheel Storage (long parallel lines)
Car Repair House
Bunkhouses Car bodies
Bunkhouses Car bodies (at the end of the spurs.)

Just northeast of the turntable is a Galvanized Iron House, Oil Sump

The Fuel Storage Facility and Powerhouse

A close-up view of the fuel oil storage tanks area.

The roundhouse is located just to the east of the storage tanks. A steam line from the powerhouse connected to the Oil Pump House (between the two tanks) and then continued to the trackside refueling facility (in Part III.) This steam line continued throughout the yard area, providing steam to the entire facility. 
The spur just to the south and in front of the pump house, was where oil was transferred from tank cars to the storage tanks. 
In front of the oil pump house is an "Oil Flume." This was a large pan under the tracks to capture oil spillage that might occur. 
There are two large tanks on the map. The one on the right states "Earth, 5x13.8 oil flume; 134 ft. diameter; Open Oil Sump." This tank held fuel oil and was open topped. 
The second tank area states "12(9) ft. Diameter Concrete Oil Cistern."

As seen in the previous postcard image of the yard area, there is only one large fuel storage tank located on the concrete cistern. This map shows two tanks; it is possible that the concrete cistern had been laid and would hold a new tank replacing the old one. The new tank and cistern were designed to retain any mass spillage from a ruptured tank. The old open-air tank was then removed. 

Just south of the fuel storage area is the Powerhouse, located between several spurs and just north of the mainline tracks. This can clearly be seen in the first image. The powerhouse played an important role, as the Santa Fe could provide electricity and steam for its own needs, independent of city power. The building still exists today; however, it is on private property. 

NEXT: PART III: TRACKSIDE REFUELING AND WATER TREATMENT FACILITIES


THE ATSF RAILWAY IN WILLIAMS, ARIZONA PART III: YARD FACILITIES WEST OF ROUNDHOUSE

 THE AT& SF RAILWAY IN WILLIAMS, ARIZONA PART III: YARD FACILITIES WEST OF THE ROUNDHOUSE:

 The Trackside Refueling and Water Treatment Facilities, the Brick Station and Freight Building

Part III will identify the trackside fuel service facility, the original location of the brick depot and freight house and other structures. The map covers the area just west of the roundhouse, and just east of the Frey Marcos Station.

#82004: Fred Harvey "Phostint" Trademark, Detroit Publishing Company

Above image is an overview of the yard facilities. The facilities covered in this part are in the center of the yard area. The brick station has been moved to its current location.




"Sheet No. SLT 24B of Valuation Section No. 2 of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway, from survey station 9454 plus 00 to survey station 19504 plus 00. Chief Engineer, The A.T.&S.F. Ry. Co., Coast Lines. Williams Station Plat, The Atchison Topeka and Santa Fe Railway. Operated by The Atchison Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Co. Coast Lines, Albuquerque Division, Arizona June 30, 1915."

The large Track Chart Map provides an overview as to the location of the structures. The map area is located west of the Roundhouse Facility. The Water treatment plant was northeast of the Trackside Fuel Facility, on two separate spur tracks off of the mainline.   Further west, and located on the north side of the mainline, was the Trackside Fuel Facility. 
The Brick Depot and Freight House are west of the Trackside Fuel Facility, situated between two-yard tracks, just south of the mainline.
The above map also shows another structure that was northeast, and across the mainline. It is long and narrow; the map notations state "Tile and stucco, bunkhouse." This was of similar construction as a section house and probably served the local track gang. 

The Trackside Fueling and Water Treatment Facilities



Close-up view of the Fuel Service and Water Treatment Facilities

The Water Treatment Plant: (Blue Arrows) The plant was northeast of the Fuel Facility, on two separate spur tracks off of the mainline. The treatment plant was one of the more important facilities for servicing engines. It was important that the water was treated to reduce chemicals, sediment and minerals that could cause foaming in the boilers, and the build-up of scale. The water was used specifically for engine service; however, it is possible that the treated water was supplied throughout the yard. Deciphering the myriads of lines and notations on the map can prove to be a challenging task.

Continuing west on the treatment plant spur is a 700-foot water flume, basically a track pan under the rails (White Arrows.) The spur ends in a building designated Cess Pool. This could be where the passenger car's holding tanks (hoppers) would be dumped and cleaned. The flume would contain any spillage and could be flushed into the cess pool. This area is now covered by the coach tracks for the Grand Canyon Railway.
One of the questions that requires an answer is how the steam engines on the mainlines and yard tracks receive water? To uncouple the engine and move to the treatment plant would be a laborious and time-consuming task. The answer is a water column, fed by a 10" pipe, that led to the plant. The water column could have been a number of columns providing water to the more important tracks. This is marked on the map three tracks south of the Fuel Facility, near the Oil Crane (Orange Arrows.) It is assumed that a water column was located at the Trackside Fuel Facility.
Notations on Map for structures, east to west:
Steel Water Tank
Steel Treating Tank
Treating House
Overhead Steam Line (from roundhouse)
Tel. (telephone) Maintainers Tool House

The Trackside Fuel Facility: (Red Arrows) Further west of the Water Treatment Plant, and located on the north side of the mainline, was the Fuel Facility.
An Oil Crane, presumably used to fill the tenders on the steam engines, was located three tracks south of the facility. This was in addition to the assumed ability to refill at the trackside facility. (Orange Arrows.)

Notations on Map for structures, east to west:
Oil Delivery Tank (odd, shaped tank; a 6" pipe provided oil from the storage tanks)
Pumphouse
Stone Cistern, Wood Top 34' Diameter
The Signal Maintainers House, and Signal Relay (Green Arrow)
An additional structure is located on the first track, south of the Fuel Facility. This is designated as the Scale and Scale House.

The Brick Station and Freight House


Close-up view of the Brick Depot and Freight House

The Brick Depot and Freight House are west of the Fuel Facility, situated between two-yard tracks, just south of the mainline (Blue Arrows.)
Notations from Map, reading east to west:
Office
Wood Platform (north side)
Brick Platform (south side)
Freight House
Concrete Platform (north side)

Another structure is just to the west of the facility, identified as the Icehouse (Red Arrow.).
The Cess Pool and Track Pan from Part II are White Arrows.)

To the north of the Freight House are two structures, identified as a cottage and a house (Green Arrows.) The house was one of four that were northeast of the FREY MARCOS complex. Given that these were located on railroad property, it can be assumed that they were for company employees.

 A reasonably sized brick passenger depot and freight house were built circa 1901, on the Atlantic and Pacific mainline in Williams (later the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway.) These was probably the replacements for the old wooden structure dating to 1884. With the opening of the Frey Marcos Hotel and station complex in 1908, the brick passenger depot was redundant. However, there was still a need for a freight station since the new complex did not include this. 
As the new Frey Marcos complex was being built, the City of Williams petitioned the Santa Fe to place a vehicle crossing over the tracks at Third Street. They countered with the offer of placing it on Second Street, to which the city agreed. Due to its location blocking the new crossing, the depot had to be moved to another location. The two brick buildings were move approximately 300 feet, combined and became the freight depot (now used as the Williams Visitor's Center.) According to this Yard Chart the station was still in the original position in 1915.
This resulted in the main north entry to the downtown area (now Grand Canyon Boulevard) passed the red-light district. This may not have been what the city fathers intended; then again times were different back then.

Sanborne Maps Library of Congress
A close-up view of the brick Depot, built in 1901

This is from a Sanborne Map, the Brick Depot, which was later moved to its present-day location. It is marked R.R. DEPOT, and divided into two waiting rooms, an office and a baggage room. This and the freight building were moved to their current location, apparently being combined in the process. It now serves as the Williams Visitor's Center.



NEXT: PART IV: THE FREY MARCOS STATION COMPLEX


THE ATSF RAILROAD IN WILLIAMS, ARIZONA PART V: YARD FACILITIES WEST OF THE STATION, SAGINAW INTERCHANGE

 THE ATCHISON, TOPEKA AND SANTA FE RAILROAD IN WILLIAMS, ARIZONA PART V: YARD FACILITIES WEST OF THE FREY MARCOS, THE SAGINAW INTERCHANGE




"Sheet No. SLT 24B of Valuation Section No. 2 of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway, from survey station 9454 plus 00 to survey station 19504 plus 00. Chief Engineer, The A.T.&S.F. Ry. Co., Coast Lines. Williams Station Plat, The Atchison Topeka and Santa Fe Railway. Operated by The Atchison Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Co. Coast Lines, Albuquerque Division, Arizona June 30, 1915."
Notations, from east to west on the map:

Underground Steam Line to Powerhouse. Tool house located next to the line, south side of tracks (Light Blue Arrows) Just north of the trestles, the overhead steam line transitions to underground. It appears that steam was provided to the entire yard area.

Frame Trestles, 70' Long (2) Both have handrails (Blue Arrows) One of the trestles is a double-deck, double-track feature, and the other is single track. The sandstone abutments still exist today, and can be seen from old Route 66.

The Saginaw and Manistee interchange (Red) This interchange serviced The Williams Brewery and the Saginaw and Manistee Lumber Company (Green Arrows)

The lumber company is extensively covered in other posts on the Blog. The Williams Brewery history is also documented on another post; however, the following map provides information as to its location. There was one brewery, that was rebuilt after a fire. The map shows its layout in October 1901. 

The area where the brewery once stood is now covered by the intersection of Bill Williams and Railroad Avenues with old Route 66. The lumber company site is developed into hotels and partly covered by residential areas. Little else remains, and is located on private property, not open to the public. 



Sanborne Insurance Maps, Library of Congress. October 1901


NEXT: PART VI: THE GRAND CANYON RAILWAY

The ATSF and Williams Arizona: Part VI; The Grand Canyon Railway

 

 The Grand Canyon Railway

(All images, unless otherwise noted, are located in the file "Grand Canyon Depot Images" available online. Used by permission; creative commons.org/licenses by/2.0/. Grand Canyon National Park Museum Collection, P.O. Box 129, Grand Canyon, Arizona 86023. Captions are from the original images.)

(Author's note: I cannot do justice to the Grand Canyon Railway on an amateur blogsite. I would recommend the book "Cowboys, Miners, Presidents & Kings: The Story of the Grand Canyon Railway; Al Richmond; Library of Congress Catalog Card Number 85-70353. This book served as a reference guide for this brief history.) 

Origins of the Grand Canyon Branch Line

In the early years of Williams, a sense of optimism and the hope of prosperity filled the hearts and minds of the town's citizens. A new lumber mill had been built, with ample supplies of Ponderosa Pines waiting to be harvested. The Atlantic and Pacific ran through the town, with the hope of securing the division point of the railroad. Ranching was a major industry. Add to this the newly discovered mineral deposits of the Anita Mining District, with the promise of untold wealth. Yes, there were ample reasons to hum a happy tune, as there seemed to be no end to good news. The Williams News, the town paper, was more than obliging to continue encouraging this sunny outlook on the future.

      Lombard, Good and Company, through the auspices of the Anita Consolidated Copper Company, were involved in the development of the Anita Mines, north of Williams, and south of the Grand Canyon. In order to ship the ore from the mining district, and to supply the new smelter in Williams, a railroad would have to be built. After acquiring the necessary funding through investors and stocks, they began building the Santa Fe and Grand Canyon Railway to the Anita Mines district, and thence onward to the Grand Canyon. 

 However, due to the fact that the ore deposits were of low quality, the first railroad company ran out of money before reaching the canyon. The Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway was able to buy the remaining assets of the Santa Fe and Grand Canyon Railway, allowing the completion of the line to the Grand Canyon. 

   The Town of Anita

(From an article in The Williams News, dated January 27, 1916. This would have been written contemporaneous with the town's existence. Additional comments from the author have been added.) 

The town of Anita deserves some mention as it was located within the original mining district. It was in part an important consideration for building the railroad that would eventually reach the Grand Canyon. Located 40 miles North of Williams, it was incorporated in the early 1900s. The town was developed to service the mining district, which was reported in 1904 to have 35 claims (the Copper Queen Mine was developed in 1907.) The township was divided into six wards, presumably from which the town council members could be elected. A station stop was provided, to service the needs of the local residents. 

The town was substantial enough to have its own column in The Williams News. This column continued for a number of years, reporting on the comings and goings of the local citizenry and persons of note. It was reported in one column, March 19, 1914, that an automobile party had stopped in Anita, then took the remainder of the trip to the Grand Canyon by train.

Like many promising mining districts, the ore did not prove to be substantial enough to continue exploiting. Eventually, as the mines gave out the town faded away. Most of the buildings were moved to Williams or appropriated by the local ranchers. Today, sagebrush and the remnants of a railroad spur that served the mining district, mark the location of Anita. 

The Grand Canyon Depot and Railroad Yards

To service the expected crowds, the Grand Canyon Depot was constructed in 1901. To capture the rustic, western appearance that would uniquely blend into the natural surroundings, logs were used in the construction. This Depot would serve with distinction for the Santa Fe Railway, and then the Grand Canyon Railway in future years. The building has existed for over 125 years and is worthy of respect and admiration. After the sale of the branch line by the Santa Fe, the new owners have lovingly maintained this historic building.  





Caption reads "The Grand Canyon Railroad Station built in 1901 and is within the Grand Canyon Village Historic District. It is one of three remaining railroad depots in the U.S. built with logs..."(license to use Wikimedia Commons, commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/ File Grand Canyon

With the coming of the railroad, facilities were needed to service the passenger trains. This included a number of tracks arranged in the yard so that passengers could disembark to the Depot. A wye was built within the narrow confines of the Village in order to turn the entire train, then back into the depot, ready for the return to Williams. One special feature, which can be seen in the following images, was a series of steam and electrical connections to each track, whereby each set of passenger cars could be connected to ensure heating to the cars in the winter months. 
During its heyday, the railroad provided easy access to the National Park, as most people traveled by train for long distance vacations. This was before airline travel was affordable for the average traveler, and before the building of a reliable and safe highway network.
The popularity of the Grand Canyon, and all of its natural surroundings, drew the attention of national conventions, such as the Shriners and the Boy Scouts of America. The Shriners could indulge in the comforts of the nearby lodgings, and the Boy Scouts could attend a national Jamboree while camping in the great outdoors.

 
AERIAL PHOTO SHOWING ENTIRE GRAND CANYON VILLAGE, WITH RAILROAD WYE. HORSE BARN SHADE STRUCTURE. PHOTO BY US ARMY, PUBLIC DOMAIN. CIRCA 1924

The wye allowed passenger trains to be turned around, and the entire consist would back into the yard tracks at the Depot. 

AERIAL OVERVIEW OF GRAND CANYON LODGE AND CABINS ON N. RIM. 1932


AERIAL BRIGHT ANGEL CAMP - BUILDINGS, TRAIN TRACKS & ROADS ALONG SOUTH RIM. CIRCA 1934. NPS.

The railroad provided additional services for the National Park Service, and the Village.  The line provided freight services, such as fuel for the powerhouse; freight carloads of building materials, supplies for the restaurants and hotels, and an all-weather connection to the outside world. One of the most important items was water. The Santa Fe brought in freight trains consisting of water cars for the park. This was an absolute necessity, until the park developed its own water sources. It could be said that the park would not have grown in popularity without the railroad.

Images of the Grand Canyon Railroad 

FIRST TRAIN TO CARRY PASSENGERS ALL THE WAY TO GRAND CANYON VILLAGE. GROUP POSING IN FRONT OF LOCOMOTIVE. 17 SEP 1901

The previous image is generally accepted as the image of the first train to the Grand Canyon. Note the water car behind the engine. 


SHRINER'S SPECIAL TRAINS IN GRAND CANYON STATION YARD. SHRINERS AND 5 STEAM LOCOMOTIVES IN PHOTO. 28 MAR 1937 NPS PHOTO



SMU FOOTBALL SPECIAL TRAIN AT GC, RETURNING TO TX FROM PASADENA, CA (ROSEBOWL) 04 JAN 1936. NPS PHOT


OVERVIEW: SANTA FE TRAIN "EL CAPITAN" IN STATION AT GRAND CANYON DURING FIRST LOS ANGELES TO CHICAGO RUN. SNOW. 19 FEB 1938




LOOKING BACK ON THE LONGEST TRAIN TO HAVE ENTERED GRAND CANYON, THE ELKS SPECIAL, TAKEN FROM GROUND LEVEL BY THE POWERHOUSE. BROWN BUILDING BEHIND (ON THE RIM) 05 JULY 1956. NPS PHOTO BY LEDING.



VIEW FROM ROOF OF POWERHOUSE AT THE SHRINERS SPECIAL TRAINS IN RAIL YARD. EL TOVAR HOTEL IN THE BACKGROUND. 17 JUNE 1950 NPS PHOTO BY EDEN. 

As air travel and the automobile became more reliable, the desire to travel by train became less appealing. Despite the investment in modern stainless-steel cars and diesel locomotives, ridership took a continually downward spiral, ultimately resulting in the decision to cease operations to the Grand Canyon.
After slumbering for a long period of time, new owners purchased the line just before it was sold for scrap. Therein is a new chapter, continuing to be written today, of a successful private enterprise reviving and growing what was once thought to be the final end.

The Grand Canyon Limited

An article was published in the Williams News, May 12, 2020 (Wendy Howell), With a subtitle "History of the Grand Canyon Limited." This passenger train was operated by the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad. The following Information is excerpted for educational purposes from the article:
    The Santa Fe named train "Grand Canyon Limited" began service on June 29, 1929 (just before the start of the Great Depression.) In 66 hours, it traveled from Chicago to Los Angeles, "with a branch to Grand Canyon National Park." 
    The train consisted of a dormitory-buffet smoking car, two chair cars, a diner, three compartment-and drawing-room sleepers, and an open-end observation/parlor car, all built by Pullman-Standard. 
    In 1947, it was re-equipped with diesel-power and stainless-steel cars.
 
(Built post war, this was an attempt by most major railroads to keep the public traveling by train. By the 1960s, most railroads were more than willing to divest passenger trains. The Santa Fe was an exception, running name trains until the creation of Amtrak in the early 1970s.There has been some documentation and speculation that, had the Santa Fe known what Amtrak was planning to do with passenger rail travel on their line, the Santa Fe would have continued to operate their own trains. Alas, that was not to be...)   

Steam Engines along the Grand Canyon Line

All images courtesy Arizona Memory project; Williams, Arizona Collection. Original scans available at the Williams Historic Photo Project, Williams, AZ. (AZMEMORY.AZLIBRARY.GOV.

(Information regarding the steam engines was provided from ATSFRailfan.Net/ATSFSteam.HTML.)

Images from the past don't just capture an item of interest but tell a story. Sometimes speculating as to the circumstances in the photograph can prove to be more entertaining and informative than the centerpiece of importance.



 
This engine appears to have been involved in some near-catastrophic event. The front pilot has been sheared off, and the number plate has suffered from the fracas. The number of men milling about with earnest expressions indicates that a wreck has occurred, and that the powers-that-be want the line cleared as soon as possible. The woman in the image is probably the wife of one of the officials' overseeing repairs. 


 
ATSF #1239 was built by Baldwin in 1905. The image was taken just after Grand Canyon line's completion, given the basic ballasting and condition of the ties. 
 A number of tracks are seen to the left, as well as several substantially built structures. There are a number of large boxes lining the tracks, indicating they were purpose-built. This appears to be an early image of the station area at the Grand Canyon, as the tracks were used to store and service passenger cars. 
The persons in the photograph are in their finest travel-attire, indicating that the engine was pulling a passenger train. 

 
ATSF #1251 (classification 1226) was a Baldwin built (1905-06), four-cylinder balanced compound design. Survivors of the class were modified to two-cylinders sometime between 1918-32. This unusual design had its origins in the theory that more cylinders would result in additional power and greater efficiency. This may have been true initially, but in practice it left something to be desired. The problem was, the inside cylinder required valve gears and timing adjustments, just the same as the outside cylinders. Maintenance and service were a headache at best. Given that most steam engines were available 30% of the time due to maintenance requirements, this complicated design only added to the downtime. It can be compared to trying to do your own maintenance on a modern, computer-driven, high-tech automobile of today. Sometimes it's best just to trade it in...   
The caption for the picture denotes this is on the Grand Canyon Line. This would have been in the early years, since only the most basic ballasting of the track has occurred. The rails also appear to be relatively light weight (50 pound?), not adequate for the heavy Mountains and other steam designs that would come later. The people in the image appear to have been motoring about, in the new technology of the automobile. The women are wearing outer travel clothes, protecting their dresses. Given that they are standing next to the engine, and no crew is seen, this locomotive appears to be dead on a siding, which might be owed to its' aforementioned complex design.   

  

THE ATSF RAILWAY IN WILLIAMS, ARIZONA PART IV: THE FREY MARCOS STATION COMPLEX

THE ATCHISON, TOPEKA AND SANTA FE RAILROAD IN WILLIAMS, ARIZONA PART IV: THE FREY MARCOS STATION COMPLEX


"Sheet No. SLT 24B of Valuation Section No. 2 of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway, from survey station 9454 plus 00 to survey station 19504 plus 00. Chief Engineer, The A.T.&S.F. Ry. Co., Coast Lines. Williams Station Plat, The Atchison Topeka and Santa Fe Railway. Operated by The Atchison Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Co. Coast Lines, Albuquerque Division, Arizona June 30, 1915."
An overview of the Frey Marcos, the yard area, and the city of Williams between Bill Williams and Railroad Avenues.

It should be noted that a warehouse and industrial area was located to the south of the yard area. This stretched, in the earlier years, along the tracks from east to west, and included warehouses and various other businesses. At one time there were houses interspersed among the businesses. 
Notations for the warehouses, east to west:
Corrugated iron warehouses (4)
Wagon Scale (small building)
Babbit Brothers Corrugated Iron Warehouse (large structure.) There is also a notation 'Babbit Brothers," which could mean that all of the warehouses belonged to that company. Today, one of the structures still exists in the parking lot of the visitor's center.





close-up view of the Frey Marco station and surrounding structures. 
An earlier Sanborne Insurance Map shows a large water tower just to the south of the Frey Marcos, servicing the yard area.
 
Houses (4) Northeast of Depot (Green Arrows)
Chicken House
Cess Pools
Privies
These four houses were located on railroad property and were probably for employees of the railroad. These might have included a place for crews to stay between calls to service. 

The Frey Marcos and Depot (Blue Arrows)
Notations, east to west:
Portico of Depot, Depot
Harvey House
Grass Areas (2)
Brick Platform

Spur to the north of the Harvey House (Red Arrow) The spur provided access for supplying:
Water Tank (Elevated Wood Tub)
Buried Oil Tank
Coal House 

Section House area (Purple Arrows)
Steam line (Overhead): It appears that on the northside of the property, an overhead steam line provided steam to the houses and other structures, which could be used for heat. 
Section House
Electric Light
Chicken House
Privy
Wood Tub Water Tank

Mexican Bunk House(s) (Yellow Arrows)





A close-up image of a vintage postcard. The image is looking west, showing the downtown area of Williams, and the railroad yard. The Frey Marcos is right-of-center in the image. 

In this image a series of structures are located just to the east of the Frey Marcos. Today, this would be the parking lot for the expanded hotel. These structures have the same general appearance and similar design as to the houses shown on the map. 


Early photograph of a train arriving at the Williams Station complex (Arizona Memory Project; Williams Arizona collection.)

The colonnaded front porch and walkway faced the tracks. In the background is the top of the water tower. There are two main tracks passing the station separated by a walkway. The third track from the station can be seen entering the west end of the yard. The yard area is on the left of the image, South in direction. 

Postcards Authors Collection

Two postcard images showing the FREY MARCOS. The first image is looking to the northwest, the second northeast. Note the walkways and the number of tracks. These was probably publicity photos taken at the time of completion of the complex. 


NEXT: PART V: THE YARD AREA WEST OF THE FREY MARCOS



Update: the Santa Fe in Williams,Arizona

 I have just posted the Six-Part study on the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe in Williams Arizona. The order of the parts is slightly out of o...