Sunday, August 23, 2026

THE ATCHISON, TOPEKA AND SANTA FE RAILROAD IN WILLIAMS, ARIZONA; PART I: INTRODUCTION AND HISTORY

 THE ATCHISON, TOPEKA AND SANTA FE RAILROAD IN WILLIAMS, ARIZONA;

 PART I:  INTRODUCTION AND HISTORY

INTRODUCTION TO THE ATCHISON, TOPEKA AND SANTA FE RAILROAD IN WILLIAMS, ARIZONA

Please keep in mind, all of the railroad is private property, and trespassing is not permitted. The area is protected by local, state and federal laws and they are very diligent with enforcement. Do not cross tracks except in designated locations, and do not disturb any of the facilities. The BNSF Railroad through Williams is a mainline thoroughfare, and trains will pass at speed. The majority of the structures mentioned in these postings no longer exist, and those that do are on private property. Trying to get a special picture is not worth serious injury, or dire legal consequences.     

 "Sheet No. SLT 24B of Valuation Section No. 2 of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway, from survey station 9454 plus 00 to survey station 19504 plus 00. Chief Engineer, The A.T.&S.F. Ry. Co., Coast Lines. Williams Station Plat, The Atchison Topeka and Santa Fe Railway. Operated by The Atchison Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Co. Coast Lines, Albuquerque Division, Arizona June 30, 1915."

 The centerpiece and reference point for this project is this Track Chart, a map that the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe produced and copyrighted in 1915. This chart was used to document the stations and facilities, and for a valuation map. This study will assume and interpret all references and details as they were on June 30, 1915.

Compass directions will be referenced as the top being North, bottom as South, left as West, and right as East. 

This study will be divided into six parts, each focusing on a section of the ATSF facilities. Notations that are on the maps will be listed as it pertains to a specific structure. There are numerous notations and features on the map such as fence lines, sewer and water lines, tangent degrees and other engineering details. For clarity this study will focus on the specific topic and whatever notations that may be relevant. 

As an amateur historian, I have done what due diligence I can to verify that this map is in the public domain and has been for a number of years. It is used here and in additional postings for educational purposes only.

A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE ATCHISON, TOPEKA AND SANTA FE RAILWAY IN WILLIAMS, ARIZONA 

The United States Government authorized the exploration of the western frontier by the U.S. Corps of Topographical Engineers. They were tasked with providing several practical railroads surveys and establish wagon roads to California. In 1851, Captain Lorenzo Sitgreaves completed a reconnaissance of the San Francisco Mountains (North of current Flagstaff, AZ.), and the area of Bill Williams Peak (South of Williams, AZ). The subsequent report was a "snapshot," a short documentation of the region. This further expanded the written knowledge of the area, benefiting future expeditions (Fuchs, 15: Goetzmann 244-246.)

Lieutenant Amiel Weeks Whipple assembled another expedition in July 1853 at Fort Smith, Arkansas. This expedition was tasked to explore and survey a railroad route along the 35th parallel, with special attention to the area between the Zuni villages and the Colorado River (Fuchs, 17; Goetzmann, 287-289.) 
In 1857, Lieutenant Edward Fitzgerald Beale embarked on a survey and construction expedition of the wagon road that would later carry his name. Starting at Fort Smith, Arkansas, the survey and road traveled 1240 miles, to the Colorado River. One notable event was the use of camels to help transport their equipment. 
Passing north of Williams, the road generally followed one spring to the other, crossing the north country. By 1902, the Beale wagon road had fallen into disuse, but not before it had served its purpose by opening a road through the North Country and exploring the possible route of a central Arizona railroad line (Fuchs, 19.) The road would become an artery allowing thousands of immigrants to travel to California, workers to the mines in Southern Arizona, and the movement of vast herds of sheep into the Williams area. 
The Bill Williams Mountain area remained relatively untraveled until the 1870s. Those who did remarked on the lush grass and tall timber growing in abundance (Fuchs, 26,27.) The 85-mile Overland Road, stretching from early Flagstaff to the Fort Whipple-Prescott area passed to the south of the mountain. In use from 1863-1882, the road was originally used by the military. From the mid-1870s until the early 1900s, large herds of sheep and cattle traversed the trail in the summer to the cool mountain meadows, grazing and fattening upon the abundant grass in the high country (Fuchs, 85.) This same road, by that time mostly abandoned, would later play an important role in the building of the Saginaw Southern Railroad.
The townsite of Williams, Arizona began as a post office (June 14, 1881) on the surveyed grade of the Atlantic and Pacific Railroad (the 35th parallel survey route.) The town also served as a construction camp for the building of the railroad (Stein, VI; Fuchs 32, 34.) Ranching and the construction of the A&P RR played a major role in the town's early history. The town was located on the ranch of C.T. Rogers, possibly one of the first settlers in the area, having arrived in 1877.  Two stage lines served the region, including this up-and-coming town of Williams (Fuchs, 61.) 
The completion of the Atlantic and Pacific Railroad met several lengthy delays, caused by the building of the viaduct bridge at Canyon Diablo east of Flagstaff, and the Johnson Creek Tunnel west of Williams. At great expense, both of these projects were completed, after spawning two of the most wild-of-the-west construction towns in Arizona.
    It is possible that the construction crews would have leap-frogged these projects, and continued grading and construction of the roadbed and laying what rails were available until the bridge and tunnel were completed.


Early Williams, circa 1890. Population 200

     For a time, Williams was overshadowed by Simms- the construction camp and town located at the Johnson Canyon Tunnel site. Once the A&P had completed that project, the denizens of the town either followed the construction to Williams or drifted elsewhere. 
The roadbed of the Atlantic and Pacific arrived in Williams in April 1882 (Fuchs, 56.) With the coming of the railroad came freight and passenger facilities. A railroad sponsored eating house was opened in 1883. Fred Harvey, a well-known provider of quality meals and service, established a welcomed presence circa 1887 (Fuchs, 98.) A more permanent depot and freight house came in August 1901 (Fuchs 116,196.)  
With the railroad facilities, having a post office, the connecting stage lines, and a developing merchant's row, the town was developing the air of permanence. With permanence comes investment, with the hope of future prosperity.  Civilization was advanced with the establishment of a school (1882). Church services were provided by circuit preachers starting in 1883. The population varied in the 1880s. The census of 1890 documented 199 persons residing in town- although this may not take into account the transient railroad laborers, saloon workers, or the outlying ranches and farms in the region (Fuchs, 58, 99,102.).
 Due to the ever-growing demand for water, the railroad began drilling wells as early as 1886. A railroad sponsored dam was built 1887 (Fuchs 70, 79,82.) 

                            
An early postcard/photograph of the Santa Fe Dam, circa 1910. (Postcard; author's collection.)


From 1884-1886 The Atlantic and Pacific Railroad moved the division point to Peach Springs, Arizona, causing a slump in the William's economy (Peach Springs, still in existence today, was the source of clean water for many years for the railroad and the town.) In 1890, Williams rebounded with the return of the division point. 
    Williams was always within the Albuquerque Division, and was also assigned within a District, one of many within the Division. With the re-assigning of the Division Point to Williams came status and importance, not to mention economic gain.
The Atlantic and Pacific went into bankruptcy, and was purchased by the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway. The western section of the A&P allowed the Santa Fe to access Arizona and eventually California.
    In 1901 a branch line was built to the Grand Canyon, increasing the importance of the railroad operations in Williams. A new station and hotel complex-to be known as the FRE MARCOS- was built. A depot was included within the complex to better dispatch and control the additional traffic. The yards were always being modified and with the new passenger traffic to the Grand Canyon meant an expansion of the tracks.
In 1929, the Great Depression began, eventually seeping into the daily lives of every citizen. Williams was not immune. The mill, at reduced production, continued to operate with occasional shutdowns (Fuchs 273.) The railroad continued to provide freight and passenger services, albeit at a reduced tempo. 
    Then came World War II, and the railroad saw an expansion of traffic as never before. Troops and supplies passed through the yards, and the constant flow of freight and passenger trains took their toll on the facilities. However, this was a necessity of the times, a war must be won and no one wanted to forestall the ultimate victory. During the war years, steel and wood products were in great demand for tanks and bases. 
    Steam engines were still being manufactured, with common designs to reduce waste and time in production. Old engines were refurbished or scrapped for the metal. Major railroads had the shops to rebuild their own passenger and freight cars, and they often did just that. 
    Post war began to see the economy and the nation return to peace. The railroads could design and order new streamlined passenger cars. The diesel-electric locomotive (diesel engine), a pre-war novelty, became the norm for the new era. The diesel engine was reliable, and robust for American railroads. It did not require frequent stops for water, or the constant maintenance of the steam engine. It has been reported that for every steam engine on the road, two additional were required, as one was being shopped for heavy repairs, another was due for maintenance or on standby, and the one on the road would soon need maintenance. 
    The Santa Fe heavily invested in diesels. The effect on labor and facilities would be immediate and permanent. Certain shop crafts would soon be eliminated in entirety. With that came the reduction in water towers and treatment plants, and entire roundhouses with all of the related crafts would be gone. 
    Williams was not alone or immune to progress. Over time, the facilities were reduced, then removed. In the 1960s passenger travel took a steep decline. The Grand Canyon service was eliminated, and eventually what remained of the passenger trains were handed over to Amtrak, a government agency. 
    In the 1960s, a major realignment was completed.  from Ash Fork to Williams the railroad alignment 
was changed; the Peavine interchange with the transcontinental route was moved to east of Williams. The mainline took a winding route north and west of Williams, which greatly reduced the grade and improved traffic flow. With these changes, no passenger service was provided at the FREY MARCOS, Instead, what was left of traffic was handled at Williams Junction, east of Williams, until even that was discontinued. 
    Yet the appeal of the Grand Canyon could not be ignored. Although most of the travel was by car to the National Park, the need for railroad passenger service was a strong enticement for private investment. The Grand Canyon Railway was reborn, and once again passengers could stay at the Frey Marcos Hotel and ride the trains to the distinct and quant Grand Canyon Depot. 
Williams continued on through the lean and prosperous years. Eventually the tourism industry, with the revitalization of the Grand Canyon Railway, brought stability. Today, with the promise of new recreational activities, the steady growth of the housing market, and the cult-like following of old Route 66, hope endures that this once frontier town will remain for many years to come.                        



A very early postcard image of Williams, Arizona. This image shows the westside of the town. In the distance is Bill Williams Mountain; on the right can be seen the Saginaw and Manistee Lumber Company Mill. In the center are homes and small businesses. The feeling is that of a small community, going about its daily life in the early years of the Twentieth Century. In the foreground are the railroad tracks and various boxcars of the Santa Fe Railway. 

NEXT POST:  PART II: THE ROUNDHOUSE FACILITIES


No comments:

Post a Comment

Update: the Santa Fe in Williams,Arizona

 I have just posted the Six-Part study on the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe in Williams Arizona. The order of the parts is slightly out of o...